-->

Review: Last Hit (Hitman #1) by Jessica Clare & Jen Frederick

Nikolai:

I have been a contract killer since I was a boy. For years I savored the fear caused by my name, the trembling at the sight of my tattoos. The stars on my knees, the marks on my fingers, the dagger in my neck, all bespoke of danger. If you saw my eyes, it was the last vision you’d have. I have ever been the hunter, never the prey. With her, I am the mark and I am ready to lie down and let her capture me. Opening my small scarred heart to her brings out my enemies. I will carry out one last hit, but if they hurt her, I will bring the world down around their ears.

Daisy:

I’ve been sheltered from the outside world all my life. Homeschooled and farm-raised, I’m so naive that my best friend calls me Pollyanna. I like to believe the best in people. Nikolai is part of this new life, and he’s terrifying to me. Not because his eyes are cold or my friend warns me away from him, but because he’s the only man that has ever seen the real me beneath the awkwardness. With him, my heart is at risk..and also, my life.

Review:

The first 30 pages I managed to get through easily. The next 250 were killing me, they were so bad. I really hate writing bad reviews, but when something like this comes along I can not keep quiet.

Let's start with Nick. He has grammatically correct thoughts in English, but whenever he opens his mouth that went completely out the window. So from the moment he says something, you know he's not American, no matter how much he tries to look like it or which name he takes. It was also contradicting something he said in the beginning, that he can take on different accents really well. Which is complete rubbish as he makes so many grammatical errors it wouldn't matter if his accent was perfect. He wouldn't even be able convince the smallest toddler.

I get that the authors wanted to go for authenticity, but after reading 20 pages of those deliberate errors I was going insane. This made it so hard for me to finish this book.

It didn't help that I kept hearing it out loud in my head, like some horrible B-film, Russian mafiosi wannabe. Pretty much all the Russian guys in the book I visioned like that. A guy with an accent, even Russian, I can deal with. Constantly having to read grammatical errors, not!

Besides that I didn't feel any connection with the character. Yeah, he was hot, but other than that, the guy was kind of a creep. While on a job he sees this girl through the window, so he develops stalking tendencies. Following her around, checking when she is in her apartment and after they meet he puts a GPS tracker in her phone, feeds the surveillance cameras from her work to his pc and shows up unannounced like all the time.

Sane girls would run from a guy like that, but not Daisy. I get that she is naive and I don't have a problem with that since it's a very re-occurring theme in New Adult. But this just takes it to a whole new level. She was homeschooled and pretty much locked up inside her house for the last ten years. Now that Daisy has escaped, she is ready to take on the world, sort off. Besides getting a job she has no real plan for her life. The only thing she has dreamed about was freedom and finding love. 

Daisy knows nothing about love or sex, except from what she has read in novels and heard through the walls from her roommate. She does not just want sex, she wants "the one". So of course the first guy to ever talk to her has got to be him. It is so over the top. Daisy met Nick three times, they went out twice and she's already in love. I really did not feel that connection between these two. The things they said and did to each other would have had them never speaking in real life, but here it somehow means they are meant to be.

I want to go back to Nick real quickly. He grew up in the Bratva, which is the Russian mafia. He's no longer part of them, but still does some odd jobs when they ask. First of all, nobody leaves the Bratva alive. Even when you get kicked out, it just means you'll end up dead. Maybe a little bit more research could have gone into this story.

I am very curious though, because the other books by Jessica Clare and Jen Frederick seems really interesting and I truly hope they are better written. Maybe it's because they wrote it together that Last Hit isn't what it's supposed to be and the quality got diminished.

Overall I really didn't like reading this book. The grammatical errors (on purpose) were exhausting, the character development was almost non existent and it all left me with the feeling of "please, let this book be over."


Connect with Jessica Clare:

Connect with Jen Frederick:

Total Book Geek
 

No comments:

Post a Comment