-->

Review: Hung Up by Kristen Tracy


Can you fall in love with a voice? This witty romance, told entirely through phone calls, chronicles the tale of a wrong number gone right.

It all started with a wrong number. The voicemails Lucy left on James’s phone were meant for someone else—someone who used to have James’s digits. But then when James finally answers and the two start to talk, a unique bond forms between the two teens.

Gradually Lucy and James begin to understand each other on a deeper level than anyone else in their lives. But when James wants to meet in person, Lucy is strangely resistant. And when her secret is revealed, he’ll understand why…


When I first read this blurb it immediately reminded me of a story I read on Wattpad called 'Voice Addiction' by Lilian R. Dale. Since I really enjoyed that one, I thought to give this one a try. To be clear these two stories are totally different. The only thing they have in common is that she dialed a wrong number and then starts having phone conversations with a total stranger. If I'm going to be honest, I liked the story on Wattpad better. 

First of all, Hung Up is formatted in all dialogue. So if that is not your thing, you shouldn't read it. I thought it was very unique, though there is no description of any kind, which very much limits getting to know your characters.

The thing is, they start calling each other and in the beginning it is mostly about random stuff. As they get to know each other better, they start telling more about their lives and their problems. While James is often really opening up, Lucy is holding back a lot. Which got me and James frustrated. Here he is pouring his heart out and she's being all secretive. This did made me curious as to what she was hiding.

There were times when I did not understand why they kept calling each other. Half the time they were arguing, so it was difficult for me to see the connection between them. Certainly when on multiple occasions they were complaining about other people they had feelings for.

Since we can only read what they say to each other, we are very limited in getting to know the characters. Now you are on equal footing with them, but you also had no idea what they were thinking and that's what I had trouble with. Because we only have these conversations, I could not see the romance blooming between these two.

I could totally understand Lucy's reluctancy to meet, up until a certain degree. While she was thinking of not wanting to spoil what was going on between her and James, all I thought was how it would make things way less awkward and weird.

Hung Up was a fun and fast read, with an unique formatting. I really liked those last few pages of the book, they were probably the best part. James was a fun character and he added a lot of humor to the book. Lucy wasn't really my kind of girl and I had major trouble connecting with her, because she was so secretive. The book is definitely aimed at really young adults and I think they would certainly enjoy it.






The Author
My name is Kristen Tracy and I wrote Lost It. This is my first novel for young adults. I've also written a lot of poetry. Some of it is on the web. (If you find any of it, keep in mind that I invent about 50% of the material in my poems.) My second teen novel, Crimes of the Sarahs, was released in Spring 2008 from Simon Pulse. My first middle-grade novel, Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus, was released in Summer 2009 from Delacorte Books for Young Readers. My third young adult novel, A Field Guide for Heartbreakers, was published by Hyperion-Disney on June 1st, 2010. My second middle-grade novel, The Reinvention of Bessica Lefter, and fourth young adult novel, Sharks & Boys, came out in 2011. They were followed by Bessica Lefter Bites Back (MG) and Death of a Kleptomaniac (YA) in 2012 and Too Cool For This School (MG) in 2013.
Connect with Kristen Tracy:


No comments:

Post a Comment